PHOEBUS AVERY
CEO / Magical Artefacts Dealer
** Pureblood Wizard | AGE: 30 | 46 POSTS
Wand 95

12¾" Holly, Thestral Scale
NET WORTH: 220 ʛ
Hogwarts Alumni (Gryffindor) alternative text
Mar 11 2018, 09:25 AM
To be entirely honest, Phoebus Avery wasn’t supposed to have all that much free time. When it came to his work, he considered more time spent travelling to conduct business abroad to be more time well spent, and not in the least because being out of the country meant that he could avoid his family more effectively. When he was at an auction house, or even better, when he was directly overseeing a dig, there was a sort of spirit to Phoebus that made his origin story as a Gryffindor suddenly much easier to understand. When he was back in London and being trotted out to various functions, however…not so much. His moodiness at being shackled to the one city - and to his familial obligations - had earned him no shortage of infamy by now, but being known as something of a bastard (both literally and figuratively) was better to him than the alternative. To the Avery clan, he had no doubt that he seemed like a bit of a lazy layabout - unwilling to properly play his part, reluctant to chip in and cook the books for Purium’s purposes.

In his own mind, however, and in his own defence, he thought that it was difficult to blame him for having such a sour outlook on family reunions when they’d essentially blackmailed him with the threat of disowning to be a part of their schemes. In a perfect world, Phoebus would’ve been left alone to study and sell and buy his beloved artefacts, and things, on the whole, wouldn’t be anywhere near as bad as they’d become.

Unfortunately, however, it was a Monday, which meant that he was dodging owls left and right from aunts and uncles who wanted to plan his social calendar for him.

The bright side of constantly being disapproved of and requiring supervision from the few family members who were still willing to keep him in line, however, was that he was always trying to think of new excuses for why he couldn’t return their messages in a prompt fashion. Today’s avoidance tactic came in the form of a clothing shop, recently opened and, more importantly, requiring a little excursion away from his office. It wasn’t surprising that he’d heard of it - Phoebus kept an ear to the ground about most things happening in the entrepreneurial world. For all that he disagreed with their methods, Phoebus had also inherited the Avery love of spending, and so a part of him was genuinely interested in seeing if anything might catch his eye. Mostly, however, he needed an alibi for being missing in action when his absence was inevitably held over his head next family dinner.

Arriving at the shop with a small pop, he brushed imaginary dust from his shoulders and tried the door, letting it fall shut behind him as he started looking around. “Interesting,” he murmured to himself, although he had unfortunately inherited the sort of bored, affected drawl that was quite typical among affluent Pureblood families and so he sounded quite the opposite of interested.

AINSLEY FOSTER

😑 nope.
+ London
+ Capricorn
+ Bisexual
+ Single
Katy is Online
AINSLEY FOSTER
Shop Owner
** Pureblood Witch | AGE: 28 | 48 POSTS
Wand 60
8½" Rosewood, Fairy Wing
NET WORTH: 10 ʛ
Mar 11 2018, 11:56 AM
Her shop had not been in existence long, but Ainsley couldn't help but feel it could be going better. It was going to take time, she knew, but she was not a patient person. It was a cozy, quaint space, and she didn't have a huge amount of stock, but she didn't set out to have a huge place. She just wanted something that was hers, something she could be proud of. And she was, to an extent. She was proud it was open, and proud that it was drawing at least a mild interest. But, like probably any entrepreneur, she had doubts - doubts about location, doubts about inventory, certainly doubts about advertising and marketing. But, choices had been made, now she had to accept her fate - though that fate was not going to be failure, not if she could help it.

Having just opened for the day, the clothes were busy folding themselves, straightening themselves on hangers, and dressing the manequins in the windows, which periodically changed poses to model all sides of the current outfits. A small pop of apparition startled her from her reverie behind the counter, and Ainsley smiled at the gentleman who had appeared in the middle of her shop. Welcome! Before she could say anything else, the man spoke - well, mumbled, really - giving her shop what she perceived as a slightly distainful glance. Furrowing her brow, Ainsley gave her wand a swish to end her magical tidying, the clothing coming to rest with soft rustles. Putting on a smile, she approached the man. Is there anything I can help you find? She tried not to appear overly eager, but she also wanted to offer good customer service at the same time. It was a fine line, for sure, and it was probably going to take her a bit of time to finesse her technique, but give a girl a break, huh? It was her first week or so in business.

PHOEBUS AVERY
Take me for what I am, who I was meant to be
+ London, England
+ Virgo
+ Heterosexual
+ Single
PHOEBUS AVERY
Wand 95

Mar 13 2018, 09:11 AM
It was…quaint.

That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, just an unusual one. The Avery-Lestrange sense of decadence and extravagance extended beyond even the finest custom robes that Madam Malkin’s of Dragon Alley had to offer. It was a kind of opulence that was somewhere along the lines of having wizarding tailors Floo over from Paris right after fashion week to work on a bespoke wardrobe. Having grown up accustomed to that level of unnecessary expenditure, this was certainly a very different kind of retail experience for Phoebus indeed.

Still, there was a sort of efficiency to the way that the clothes were folding themselves, and he actually rather enjoyed the way that one of the mannequins appeared to be striking all manner of sassy poses to best show off the stock. A bright welcome sounded from a witch - perhaps roughly around his age, probably the owner that he’d briefly heard about, and vaguely familiar in a way that made him think they must have seen one another at Hogwarts - and an instant later, the clothes were still and she was approaching him with a vengeance that was probably supposed to be attentiveness. It wasn’t her fault, really - Phoebus was the kind of shopper who dreaded being spoken to whilst browsing, and to make matters worse he hadn’t even properly started browsing yet.

He tried to muster some politeness from some out-of-practice part of the depths of his soul, because after all, it had been his idea to come here and see what the faint buzz was about.

“Yes, hello. I’m looking for something to wear to a party. If the clothes could somehow convey that I don’t want to be spoken to by anyone there that would be best.”

AINSLEY FOSTER

😑 nope.
+ London
+ Capricorn
+ Bisexual
+ Single
Katy is Online
AINSLEY FOSTER
Shop Owner
Wand 60
8½" Rosewood, Fairy Wing
Mar 17 2018, 10:10 PM
As soon as the man spoke, Ainsley had a twinge of regret in approaching him to begin with. He seemed a bit....put out about being in her shop, and as if she were bothering him. His odd request made her frown thoughtfully for a moment. Well, our men's section is over in the back corner there. I'm afraid it's not much right now, but perhaps something will meet your specifications. Offering the man another, somewhat tighter, smile, Ainsley retreated to the counter and resumed her owner-ly duties, whatever that would entail in a shop with one surly customer.

While the man browsed, Ainsley watched as she folded some tops at the counter, her brow furrowed, trying to figure him out. He seemed important, or at least that's the way he carried himself. His f*** off attitude only added to the air of self-importance that now seemed to fill every bit of space in her small little shop. She found herself wondering what he was doing here, exactly. Perhaps she was making snap judgements, but a kitschy little independent shop with a smallish inventory seemed, well, beneath this man. Did he just come to look down his nose at her? Was he one of those secret shoppers, come to do a report on the shop? Whatever the case, Ainsley decided that she was not going to be intimidated by this man. She allowed him to browse a few more minutes in peace, giving him some time to check things out, then cleared her throat quietly. If you have any questions, please let me know. Also, anything you find can be altered if needed. She then quietly returned to her busy work, always at least aware of the man's movements, if not glancing up from time to time to make sure he wasn't in need of anything. Though she was sure that, had he need of anything, he would certainly let her know, even without being asked first.

PHOEBUS AVERY
+ London, England
+ Virgo
+ Heterosexual
+ Single
PHOEBUS AVERY
Wand 95

Mar 25 2018, 08:32 AM
It seemed that he’d touched something of a nerve. Well, it was hard to tell. Phoebus wasn’t particularly attuned to the emotions of others - unsurprisingly, empathy hadn’t been very high on the list of skills taught in the Avery school of life. Still, she seemed a little displeased by him from what little he was able to discern. Perhaps he was being too high and mighty, or maybe his reluctance to interact too much with other people was written plainly across his face and in his mannerisms. Either way, he wasn’t sure that he particularly cared, but he still managed a small if slightly doubtful, “Thank you. I’ll see if anything seems to fit the bill.”

Of course, if anything did fit the bill, then that might not necessarily make her happy. Phoebus was on the lookout for something garish at best, and potentially downright hideous at worst, after all. It would be best if he could find something so eyewateringly difficult to look at that at the next Ministry party none of the people that his mother wanted to throw at him could stand to talk to him at all - otherwise, he’d have to let his poor attitude take care of being a deterrent, and that took some effort. He’d rather repel people from afar.

Still, as he browsed - flicking carefully through the small men’s section that the woman had pointed out, because although he was a self-declared snob, he still respected people’s wares - it became clear to him that nothing was quite as ugly as he’d been hoping for. In fact, she seemed to have a fairly decent eye, although it was hard to be sure, because she didn’t have enough stock for him to be sure that she wasn’t just lucky rather than tasteful. He doubted that someone would decide to risk their reputations on a venture to open a shop if they didn’t have faith in their own taste, though. Tilting his head, he regarded her as she cleared her throat and spoke again.

“I’ll keep that in mind. You know, some of this stuff is quite nice, actually.”

AINSLEY FOSTER

😑 nope.
+ London
+ Capricorn
+ Bisexual
+ Single
Katy is Online
AINSLEY FOSTER
Shop Owner
Wand 60
8½" Rosewood, Fairy Wing
Mar 25 2018, 11:56 AM
Ainsley's cheeks colored slightly at the customer's comment and she smiled in reply. Thank you, I'll make sure to pass that on to the designers. Most pieces are one-of-a-kind at the moment. My goal is to showcase smaller, lesser-known, and perhaps local designers, which is part of the reason for the small inventory. The other part, of course, was that she was newly opened, and perhaps had been too excited to open to fully stock her shop. However, it was a smaller space, and too many clothes would have made it too cramped. As she got more customers, she would learn more about what they were looking for and would hopefully be able to expand accordingly.

Leaving the man to his browsing, Ainsley moved from behind the counter to assist a younger woman who had just entered the shop. As she murmured over dresses with the woman, Ainsley kept an eye and an ear on the gentleman, hoping he was getting on ok with his browsing. She wasn't sure what exactly he was looking for, and sort of doubted he would find it in her shop, but at least he had come in and was at least pretending to be interested, so that was something. Perhaps, even if he didn't find what he wanted, he'd tell others about her shop. Word of mouth was her best marketing strategy at the moment. She hadn't been able to afford a full press release of ads at the time of opening, that would have to come in the not too distant future.

There you are, Miss. I hope you enjoy it! Ainsley smiled and handed over the woman's package with a smile, dancing giddily inside for making her first sale. Of course she couldn't outwardly express her excitement since she still had a customer, but it was the best feeling in the world - at least at this moment in time. It made her feel that perhaps this pipe dream of hers was going to work after all. Of course one sale was not a great measure of success, but a small success was still success. Doing her best to regain her composure, Ainsley returned to her busy work, leaving the man to his search, not wanting to be too overbearing but trying to be attentive at the same time.

PHOEBUS AVERY
+ London, England
+ Virgo
+ Heterosexual
+ Single
PHOEBUS AVERY
Wand 95

Apr 5 2018, 06:03 AM
Hearing her discuss her business vision piqued his interest properly for the first time since he’d walked into the shop. Although it hadn’t really been his own choice to do so, he’d completed a degree in magical business at Eastwick, and so it was almost reflexive for him to be curious about the way that other people chose to run their own ventures. From the way that she was speaking, she didn’t exactly sound experienced, but it seemed as though she had a clear vision for what she wanted anyway, which was more than could be said for some. Nodding thoughtfully, he tapped his chin and responded, “That’s probably a good market area, I’d imagine, no? People like one of a kind and they like local. You might have a problem with marketing, though.” Realising that he potentially sounded quite patronising, he added, “I have a business too. It’s always interesting to hear what the thought process is behind what people choose to do.”

It seemed like he was being left to his own devices for a little, which he appreciated to some extent because at least she seemed to have picked up on the fact that he was not an especially friendly or open shopper and was treating him accordingly. The other woman who came in to shop was promptly attended to instead, leaving him to pick through the rest of the rack. Nothing hideous enough to delight him, but there was a rather nice embroidered tie that he would probably actually unironically wear, and so he picked it up and brought it to the owner at the counter as the other customer left with her purchase.

Phoebus didn’t fail to notice how happy the store owner seemed at having made a sale - it was practically written across her face - and he supposed that to some extent, he understood. He loved what he did too, and success was thrilling no matter how prominent his family already was to begin with. Setting the tie down in front of her, he remarked, “Nothing that would be off-putting enough to deter people at the party that I’m going to, but this tie is nice.” He reached for his wallet, blinking at her expectantly for the price - he hadn’t even bothered to check when he’d picked it up - and asked, “How long have you been open now, exactly? You seemed very excited just now by your sale to that girl.”

AINSLEY FOSTER

😑 nope.
+ London
+ Capricorn
+ Bisexual
+ Single
Katy is Online
AINSLEY FOSTER
Shop Owner
Wand 60
8½" Rosewood, Fairy Wing
Apr 8 2018, 02:47 PM
As the woman left, her only other customer at the moment took her place at the counter, laying out a tie. His back-handed sort of compliment made her chuckle in spite of herself. Well, thank you for that, I suppose. I'll make sure to put that in the next ad in the Prophet - "Not hideous, but nice enough." I'm sure it'll bring them in in droves. Ringing up his purchase, she gave him the total and put his tie in a bag. She was glad he managed to find something in her humble little shop. She still wasn't sure what his angle was, but he put her off her game a bit. One minute he was cold and standoffish, the next he was....sort of complimenting her inventory.

Going back over his comment about her marketing, Ainsley mulled her answer over for a short while. For a moment she felt small, like she didn't know what she was doing after all. I suppose marketing was the one thing I didn't completely plan. I mean, I was so excited to get the doors open, I didn't think much farther ahead than that. Besides, marketing wasn't my major. I've been open a week or so and that woman was my first sale. I mean, I know it's going to take a while to get off the ground, but.... She chuckled again, toying with her wand for a minute before letting out a small sigh and handing over the man's bag. Anyway, you don't need to hear all of this. Enjoy your tie, please tell your friends about me....She gave him a pleasant enough smile, pushing her anxiety aside in the face of professionalism. Everything would be fine, it had only been a week, things were sure to pick up.

PHOEBUS AVERY
+ London, England
+ Virgo
+ Heterosexual
+ Single
PHOEBUS AVERY
Wand 95

Apr 14 2018, 02:32 AM
He wasn’t accustomed to people finding things that he had to say amusing anymore - usually the reaction to his moody antics, if not one of shock and horror, was at least something like displeasure. Back in the Gryffindor common room, things had been different, but of course that had been before he’d been conscripted into the family firm. Her brief chuckle, then, in addition to the joke that she made, earned a quick, rare smile from him as he counted out the galleons and placed them on the counter efficiently. “Believe it or not, I’ve seen even worse ads than that in the Prophet, so it’d probably actually work.”

His dour mood returned quite quickly, however, when she confirmed that she didn’t really have a marketing strategy at all - it was hard to keep a patronising look from his face, but he attempted to bring it under control as he replied. “I…see. If you’ll permit me to comment,” he began, before continuing on anyway as though asking for her permission had only been a formality, “that’s not very good business practice. Even drumming up some more buzz beforehand on wiz social media would’ve been helpful. But I guess that since you're open now anyway, that just counts as a lesson learned.” Phoebus paused, relented slightly, and added, “I understand the excitement point of view, though.”

Taking the bag, he nodded and seemed to make as though to leave, before pausing again and saying, “I will make sure to mention it to the people in the circles I run in, a bit of free marketing. I’m sure it’ll get quite a few more people through the door. A lot of them are assholes, though, fair warning, so I’m not sure if they’d be what you’d consider ideal clientele.”

AINSLEY FOSTER

😑 nope.
+ London
+ Capricorn
+ Bisexual
+ Single
Katy is Online
AINSLEY FOSTER
Shop Owner
Wand 60
8½" Rosewood, Fairy Wing
Apr 21 2018, 07:25 PM
What had she just thought about his shift in mood? How maybe, just maybe, he wasn't as pretentious as he had first come across? And now he was criticising her business practices. Ainsley surpressed a biting retort, clenching her jaw a bit to control herself. It would be very unprofessional to snap at one of her very first customers. He was right, of course, she knew marketing had been the one thread she'd left looser than the others, but still. She couldn't stand people who offered "advice" unprompted, especially in such a patronizing manner. She wasn't a child, after all.

Keeping her straightforward, fiery Gryffindor traits in check, and all of the "listen here, jerk" comments from slipping past her lips, Ainsley simply smiled and nodded as the man promised to spread the word about her shop to all of his unsavory-sounding friends. Well, thank you, I appreciate that. Word of mouth works just as well as anything else. Enjoy your not hideous tie and have a great day. Her thoughts had turned to images of her quaint little shop overrun with stuck-up snobs, all turning up their noses at her palrty selection of "nice enough" clothing. The very idea of it made her shudder. Any clientele was good clientele, or so the saying went. However, she had a feeling that too many of this man's friends would be the downfall of her shop. Still, all she could do was hope that this customer thought enough of her efforts to give her a decent talk-up to others. The last thing she needed was bad press just after her opening.

PHOEBUS AVERY
(sorry for the shortness, not sure what else there really was to say)
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

OPTIONS
ADD REPLY

Image Map
RP MONTHS JULY AUG SEPT OCT
ACCIO CBOX LINK | KEEP THE CHAT FRIENDLY!

Currency Galleons
Minister Kristopher Norwood
Non-Magical Muggle